Comin’ Clean: Buffalo Reporter Admits to Errors In His Reporting

Charlie Specht : Buffalo WKBW

There he is again: Buffalo's sleazy TV reporter Charlie Specht

Last month, acting on a tip from a loyal reader of this site, David F. Pierre, Jr. of TheMediaReport.com called into Buffalo radio station WBEN when told that Buffalo television reporter Charlie Specht would be appearing as a guest on a talk show.

Once on the air, Pierre questioned Specht over a story he had aired in which a man, Gene Walczak, claimed that a priest, Rev. Joseph Gatto, groped him outside a Walmart in the 1980s. But as our prior post revealed, there was not even a Walmart in the Buffalo area until years later, in 1995. Walczak's claim was bogus.

The truth shall set you free

Upon being asked about his story, Specht growled that Pierre was simply a "troll" who believed that the entire Catholic sex abuse story is a "hoax." (Not true, obviously.)

While we ignore Specht's childish personal attacks, Specht did admit that we were correct about our post. "You're right," Specht conceded. There was not a Walmart in the Buffalo area in the 1980s. Specht then said that the priest's accuser now claims that the incident occurred at a now-defunct Ames store.

Specht didn't explain how the accuser mistook a Walmart superstore for an Ames store.

But Specht's admission leaves us with more questions:

1. Why does the erroneous story about a nonexistent Walmart still appear on the station's web site? What else did the accuser Walczak get wrong?

2. Why does Specht and his station continue to display a letter that accuses another priest (Rev. Dennis Riter) of abuse in 1992 when the letter has been shown to be a modern forgery?

Specht would do well to further unburden himself by answering these questions and correcting the record. But if past history is any guide, don't hold your breathas Specht is likely only looking for the next crazy headline to boost his ratings-challenged station's Nielsens.

Comments

1. peoples clown says:

Congratulations Dave Pierre! It was a great moment to call them out, on air!! That's what all the Bolsheviks need! To be called out publicly! They switch the accusations, and call us "trolls". Being for truth I guess I'm thrown in with the " trolls". Of course, liars like specht are a different breed of "troll". Dan – servant of who?- is definitely a troll!

• Dan says:

Why is it Bozo that you have absolutely nothing of any substance to add to any conversation. It was entirely uncalled for to bring me into your stupid comment.  servant of the Real Truth, non-catholic

• peoples clown says:

Dan – you're always just itching to call st. Mary a "goddess"! I'll always defend her! So who's trolling? I'm trolling for the truth! – PC. Pax to you , brother Dan!

• Dan says:

Jack, Why don't you go back in your box! Mary is your catholic "goddess". You've made billions of statues of her, some horrendous, place her on pedestals or elaborately decorated litters, crown, bow and pray to her, calling her your Queen of Heaven, Mother of God, Hail Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope. All of you catholics can deny your idolatry all you like, but actions speak for themselves.  servant of the Truth

• Dan says:

Sorry Clown, You're a lying troll!

• peoples clown says:

Dan – if you were as diligent in calling out those who worship money in the world, as to those who venerate Mary, then, gee, what a better place it might be. Just think, you'd be calling out those who spend billions on needless body care and overpriced gym membership, to give that money to the poor and homeless! How significant, instead of wasting your time here, disrespecting Mary, and your complaints falling on deaf ears! You'd be doing something we can all agree on. Humpty, don't take that Dumpty, and have a great fall!

• Dan says:

Let me get this straight. You want me to stop calling out catholic's incessant worship of Mary, in order to call out those who spend billions, like your church, making silk dresses and all the accoutrements for your gay clergy, building exorbitantly priced Temples filled with idols crowned with gold and precious stones and museums filled with the same idolatry. Who serve hotdogs, salisbury steak and slop to the poor like their precious Mother Theresa, claiming to help the poor and sick while bedding them in squalor, but at same time collecting millions in donations and rubbing elbows with rich kings and politicians. And let's not forget that they don't pay taxes like other rich people. Hey Bozo, I think I just took your good advice. Thanks for the tip.

P.S. How astute of you to realize my "complaints falling on deaf ears". As if I didn't know that after quoting Scripture predicting unrepentant sinners being deaf, blind, stubborn, hard-headed and stiff-necked idolaters, disobeying God and His commandments.

2. Dan G. says:

Dan Corner the heretical Oneness Ex Catholic fundamentalist non-christian (whew!) says:

May I suggest this passage from Luke's Gospel:

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
    my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
    for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.
    From this day all generations will call me blessed:
    the Almighty has done great things for me,
    and holy is his Name.

He has mercy on those who fear him
    in every generation.
    He has shown the strength of his arm,
    he has scattered the proud in their conceit.

He has cast down the mighty from their thrones,
    and has lifted up the lowly.
    He has filled the hungry with good things,
    and the rich he has sent away empty.

He has come to the help of his servant Israel
    for he remembered his promise of mercy,
    the promise he made to our fathers,
    to Abraham and his children forever.

(Lk 1: 46-55)

And before that:

6 In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, 27 to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary. 28 And he came to her and said, “Hail, full of grace,[a] the Lord is with you!”[b] 29 But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and considered in her mind what sort of greeting this might be. 30 And the angel said to her,[c] “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus.

32 He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High;
    and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David,
    33 and he will reign over the house of Jacob for ever;
    and of his kingdom there will be no end.”

34 And Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I have no husband?” 35 And the angel said to her,

“The Holy Spirit will come upon you,
    and the power of the Most High will overshadow you;
    therefore the child to be born[d] will be called holy,
    the Son of God.

Dan, your complete disrespect for the Mother of God, Mediatrix of all Graces, the Mother of Mercy who is our Life, Sweetness and Hope, who will pray for us as we venture through this valley of tears, is quite troubling.  That you dare to insult the Mother of God, Jesus our King is frightening.  I would be very careful if were you.

• Dan says:

Cathy, You're a bit confused. I have absolutely no disrespect for Mary of the Bible. I have a huge problem with the catholic representation of their Queen of Heaven, lies and fawning over her, making her this sinless, perfect human being. Mary calls herself a "lowly servant". No one labels themselves such who doesn't realize they're some sort of sinner. I'm a sinner and I never called myself a lowly servant. Please don't tell me how she was so humble and more malarkey. As a Christian, Jesus is the only way to the Father and there is no other way. No other mediator, advocate or helper. It's all catholic lies, making the human half of Jesus something she is not. "All have sinned and fallen short of the Lord's glory." This is heresy in the first degree. How "dare" you insult Biblical Truth. "I would be very careful if I were you."

Another heresy, "And do not call anyone on earth your father, for you have one Father and He is in heaven." Matthew 23:9

Explain how your church has the audacity to call perverted pedophile priests father and your pope "Holy Father", as if he is God himself. Despicable! And don't use the lame excuses I've heard from several of your priests, "Well don't you call your father, father." I never did call him father and surely never wrote or called him the title, father capitalized. I would be very careful if I were you.

servant of the Lord

P.S. Didn't even know Dan Corner untill Julie and llc forced me to look up the guy a month or two ago. Never called myself "Holiness". Never wrote one book. Never distributed Bible tracts. Never asked anyone for Donations. Never had or wanted my own website. Not him or his minion. Can you stop the stupid accusations?

• Dan says:

Dan G.,

Your last paragraph proves your ridiculous idolatry. She is not the Mother of God (you could call her mother of Jesus), not any kind of mediatrix (your only trixed), Has nothing to do with God's or Christ's mercy, nor HIS life, sweetness or hope. To claim so is to make her your savior and salvation. More heresy and you are heading towards the "valley of tears", which "is quite troubling".

Servant of the Almighty and is he ever angry with false teachings, especially catholic ones. That"s not my take. The Bible will tell you so. Try paying attention to what you quote, you, LLC and Julie. If you don't understand it, follow it, obey it and live it, then watch out, because changing, misinterpreting and perverting the Word will actually destroy you. You've been warned all you deaf, dumb or blind. Bozo told me you guys are at least deaf and my words are falling on deaf ears. The Bible tells me that they would.

• LLC says:

Dan,

"She is not the Mother of God (you could call her mother of Jesus)" = such magnificent ignorance of Scripture! What would Elizabeth say (Luke 1:43) …

Since, for you, Jesus is not God, you are not a Christian. But this is not news.

Have a great day, non-Christian brother.

• peoples clown says:

Dan – I looked it up recently,also! LL C , Julie, and all the other cathys seem to recognize certain similarities!!!!! Especially , the Mary conflict of yours!!! Dan Corner has written books about it!! With that type of shill, paranoid, accusations about her, why wouldn't your posts fall on deaf ears?!?! I'm taking you at your word, though! It would be difficult to keep up with your postings here, as well as all Dan Corner activities, seemingly! Pax Brother Dan, Christian or not!

• Dan says:

Your a complete idiot and deceiver! I have no problem with mother of Jesus or mother of my Lord, as Elizabeth claims. MARY, YOUR QUEEN OF HEAVEN, WILL NEVER QUALIFY AS THE MOTHER OF GOD. To even hint at such a thing is heresy against all Biblical Truth and total ignorance of Scripture! What would God the Father say?

Next thing you'll be calling your Pachamama, Christ's Stepmother of God.

Have a great day, heathen

3. Dan says:

"All Scripture is breathed out by God, and is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." 2 Tim. 3:16

Catholics – This is Biblical Scripture, and yet you're willing to allow deceivers try to convince you that the Word is somehow lacking and you're in need of so much more, the traditions of a fallen church, their magisterium and catholic false teachings in order to be complete. Please come to your senses and escape the wrath that is coming upon all false churches. Read the Lord's Word, believe in it and lean on it mightily. We are living in difficult days of much evil, poor teaching and deceptive leaders. Come to the Lord of Truth. He will not disappoint you.

4. Dan G. says:

Oneness Dan has this to say:

That title from the very beginning is most telling the most damning to your assertions that we are idolaters.  Mary had the title THEOTOKOS, Greek for God-bearer or Mother of God.  You see, from that title alone did the Early Church believe that not only was Jesus Human but God Incarnate.  And since He is God Incarnate then if follows that Mary is the Mother of God.

Theologically, the terms "Mother of God", "Mother of Incarnate God" (and its variants) should not be taken to imply that Mary is the source of the existence of the divine nature of Jesus, who existed with the Father from all eternity,[14] or of her Son's divinity.[15] Within the Orthodox and Catholic tradition, Mother of God has not been understood, nor been intended to be understood, as referring to Mary as Mother of God from eternity — that is, as Mother of God the Father — but only with reference to the birth of Jesus, that is, the Incarnation. To make it explicit, it is sometimes translated Mother of God Incarnate.[1

So Dan, once again, you fail miserably in your attacks.  It is clear that not only are you ignorant of Sacred History you are also pitifully wrong in all of your beliefs.

5. Dan G. says:

Dan quotes the typical 2 Tim 3:16 which is predictable.  Only problem is is that within that verse, nowhere does it say "scripture alone."  I will retort with the predictable 1 Tim 3:15 where is says that the Church is the pillar and bullark of  Truth.  Therefore since the NT comes from the bosom of the Church and not the other way around, the Church is the only expositor of the Bible both Old and New and it's sole custodian.  Oh Dan, you need the Church.  You need to receivd the Body of Blood of Christ in the Eucharist and you need to receive Him worthily (Jn 6; 1 Cor 10 and 11).  You need to confess your sins (Lv 19:20-22; Jn 20:21-23).  You need, in short, to ditch your false christianity, ditch your truncated bible for the complete Catholic Bible, you need to wear sackcloth and throw ashes over your head and lament your dire state.  You need to apologize to Mary and Her Son.  My God, you need a complete makeover!

• peoples clown says:

Yes, how true, Dan G.! Sackcloth would be good! There is still time , Dan. You had no new year resolution, but lent is coming up Feb. 29, I think.taking an RCIA class would be appropriate. Don't think you'd make it for Easter, though!

Many times I look at the archives here, you are saying the same thing from 5 years ago, to "publion"! Pax brother Dan!

• Dan says:

Hey Cathy's Clown, I'll cover all your ignorance in one comment. It's strange how you've looked at the archives and yet still can't seem to actually add anything of intelligence to the conversation. You've repeated your stupid Bolshevik nonsense for quite a long time, either that, or you're flattering your fellow cathy's clowns, LLC, Malcolm, Julie, now Dan G. and especially your hero, publiar. Maybe you should try being your own man instead of a little kiss ass.

No I won't be taking an RCIA class anytime soon. Let me correct that. EVER! Have no interest in celebrating your Pachamama fertility goddess Eostre holiday.

I attended a catholic funeral recently to witness there chapel mural covering the full wall behind the altar. I couldn't believe my eyes. Idolatry to the tenth degree. Mary being crowned by an uncrowned Jesus with His huge cross and God with a pyramid on His head. The dove of the Spirit, that John witnessed coming down on Jesus, coming down on your Queen of Heaven. I verified the image as a catholic painting "Crowning of Our Lady". As if that wasn't bad enough, your goddess, who catholics claim crushes the head of Satan, is standing on what appears to be the head of Jesus. Cathys, please stop trying to convince us that all your wicked idolatry is an innocent mother pointing the lost towards her son. Nothing but wicked deceit.  servant of The Lord

P.S. A commenter to your latest Alaska pedophile debacle sarcastically stated something to the effect, "All we have to do is a few indulgences, [babbling prayers to Mary], and all our sins become legit." And let me add that you think you're forgiven and move on to other states or countries to molest more little boys. Take that! Joker!

6. Dan G. says:

People's cloown, that is always how fundamentalists work.  They have a list of bible quotes and nearly 99% of them are taken out of context.  A catholic will answer their question/accusation with well thought out responses that include scripture, the Fathers, and historical records and they respond but making another accusation followed by another out of context biblical quote.  They never answer our questions directly which means the never answer our questions.  Some people will say why bother with them.  I say we must per the directive of our first Pope St. Peter:

“But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to givean answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:”

Speak Your Mind

(email addresses will not be displayed publicly)